Why I did not take up Medicine...err for now


I am often asked,if not bugged, by friends why I did not take up medicine right after graduating from college. And every time they do, i almost always jokingly say it's because I don't want to stay in a school during the prime years of my life. I want to savor my youth. When I spend four years more in a university, when I finally finish the whole medical course, I'll be older than I am now and the sensations at that age will be different compared with the sensations now, at this age. Get it? ;) But kidding aside, I have thought about this for quite a while and I still have not got a single, serious answer. Instead, I came up with gazillions of excuses for myself.
  1. It's just not my passion. - An almost valid excuse except that I know for a fact that I have many passions and some of them are solving problems, diagnosing what's wrong with people and luckily, find the cure or get stabbed trying.
  2. I have no money. - This should be on number 1 but I realized there are hundreds of medicine students whose family finances are in jeopardy and they did not make this an excuse. If there's a will, there's always a way...right? errr...
  3. I have no will. - Who is Will? Shit. I am not willing to study again. I'm too dumb to be required to read medical books from cover to cover. After nursing, I am not willing to go through the hassle of a medical course, again. Yeah right. Who am I kidding? I love learning and I read medical books like novels because the liver and the kidney's tragic love stories fascinate me. I love the hassle of a medical course like how a chocoholic loves chocolate. It's bad for me but it keeps me 'alive'.
  4. My brain is fried. - Another failed self-deception. Those nosy friends know the truth. :p
  5. The doctors themselves want to become nurses. - Now i think this is more like it. The doctors themselves want to become nurses to get out of the country and earn a better salary. So why again should I want to become a doctor?One reason: so that I will ''want'' to become a nurse.Great.
  6. Doctors themselves claim their profession is taking up family time.- The doctors I know, and those I don't (Grey's anatomy peeps) claimed that the on-call duties keep them away from family almost all the time. But I think nursing duty schedules also mess up bonding time except that I have not heard nurses complain about this. Some of the nurses I know who are working abroad get to bring their family with them and have nice facebook photos of their family bonding time. 
  7. I want to work abroad- Doctors get stuck in the country they graduated in.Some lucky few get to practice medicine in another country but then again, that's quite a few.They cannot practice in another country if they don't study there for a year (depends on the rules on each country) and the one year fee is very expensive. Here's another sad one: foreign countries usually prefer their 'own' doctors. 
  8. Mostly, doctors' children are not taking up medicine.- I know I shouldn't be comparing but there really is a significant pattern here. Get it? They have seen what it is like to live in a family with a doctor and they did not want to follow in their footsteps. Not that it's not a noble profession because it really is. I don't know their reasons but one thing is for sure: It raises an eyebrow.
  9. I don't want to be away from my family. -They are there. I am here. I cannot study medicine there because it costs a million per semester. Such a waste considering it's just less than a hundred thousand per semester here.
  10. I have yet to think of a better excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment